Maintaining a stable roof is imperative in protecting your home, your belongings and your family. If there is any sign of physical damage, whether it is spotting missing shingles or a small leak, we recommend calling us as soon as possible. Once water penetrates the shingles, the wood sheathing underneath is at risk for rotting and more damage inside the home can occur. Ignoring small issues, greatly increases the likelihood the issue will escalate into major damage and a possible roof replacement.
When we begin the repair process, it starts with a thorough inspection of the roof and assessing the exterior and interior damage. Residential roofs usually consist of 5 basic components:
- Roof Structure – Wood framing rafters and trusses constructed to support the roof
- Sheathing – Wood or boards fastened to the roof structure that cover the house and provide the first layer of the roof
- Roof Covering – Material used to cover the sheathing to protect it from water and other elements. For most residential homes, the most common roof covering is shingles.
- Flashing – sheet metal that is installed in various intersecting walls, joints and valleys of the roof system to prevent water from seeping inside the building.
- Drainage – The ability of the roof to shed water. Consisting of the actual roof design and slope of the roof and the drainage system, or gutters, attached to the roof to properly carry away water from the home.
We look to make sure your roof is carrying water away properly, the roof covering is intact, the flashing is properly installed and properly caulked, and then we check the sheathing and the structure to assess any possible damage.
Tip - Besides normal wear and tear, bad weather is the most common reason for damage to a roof. After a major storm, walk around your home and look for any possible shingles laying in your yard, and look to see if anything is missing from your roof.
Maximize the life of your roof and cut costs simply by keeping up with regular preventive maintenance of your roof. Through our preventative maintenance programs and semi-annual roof inspections, we can proactively identify areas of need before they can turn into costly roof damages. Instead of waiting for leaks to occur, we inspect and correct problems that are necessary to maintain the longevity of your roof.
Need some more information? Want to schedule a time for us to see your roof? Want to enroll in our preventative maintenance program? Fill out an online request form, send us an email or give us a call at 301.473.5067.